NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research Assistantship (NSERC USRA) Awards & Dean’s Undergraduate Research Assistantship (DURA) Awards
Are you interested in a summer research experience? Applications are now being accepted by the Faculty of Science for the NSERC USRA and DURA awards. Information sessions are listed at the bottom of this email. We encourage you to attend one of these.
1. Applicants must be full-time BSc students, and Canadian citizens or permanent residents who have completed their first year by Dec. 31, 2018.
2. Awards pay $5625 for a 16-week work term.
3. At York, this award can only be held during the summer session.
4. The application is online and must be submitted online by Fri. Feb. 22, 2019. Applications are automatically considered for both NSERC USRA and DURA; you do not need to submit a separate application.
5. Additionally, hard copies of both parts (Part I and II) of the application are due in the Undergraduate Biology Office (102 LSB) by Fri. Feb. 22, 2019. Handwritten applications will not be accepted.
6. Results will be announced in mid-March; if offered to you, you’d need to accept by Fri. Mar. 29, 2019.
7. You cannot hold more than 3 USRA awards during your university career, regardless of the schools you held them at.
8. You cannot hold a higher degree in natural sciences or engineering, nor be a candidate in an undergraduate professional degree in health sciences (e.g., MD, DDS, BScN).
9. The faculty member must hold an active NSERC grant (either now or by the summer).
10. Only students in York’s Faculty of Science, including international students*, are eligible for DURAs.
11. You must have an overall cumulative GPA of 6.0 or higher to be considered for these awards.
Please note that recipients are not allowed to hold other summer employment, and, if permission is granted are allowed to take one 3.00 credit course. If you accept either award, you must participate in a mandatory Undergraduate Research Conference in the third week of August.
*International students enrolled in York’s Faculty of Science, are eligible for DURA Awards – to gain access to the forms on the NSERC USRA application portal, international students should indicate they are a Canadian citizen, and then hand-write at the top of the first page of their application that they are an international student.
Students in their final year are encouraged to apply to the NSERC Experience Awards. Students who receive these awards will be full-time employees at eligible companies (list available at the link below). To apply for the NSERC Experience Awards, please complete Form 202 and submit the completed application and your official transcript to the company of your choice. More information (including a list of eligible companies) is available http://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/Students-Etudiants/UG-PC/Experience-Experience_eng.asp
We strongly encourage female and Aboriginal students to apply. Aboriginal student awards are in addition to the York University quota of awards.
An information session on both is scheduled for Thursday, February 14, 2019 – 1:00-3:00 pm in 306 Lumbers.